LES QUATRE TEMPS : BETWEEN PAST AND FUTURE
The history of the la Défense district, in which the Quatre Temps shopping centre is located, dates back to the 17th century. At that time, the hill of Chantecoq towered over the road that linked the Louvre to the château de Saint-Germain. An important thoroughfare, as imposing as the place de l'Etoile, the Courbevoie crossroads was renamed in 1883. It became the 'la Défense roundabout', in reference to the statue by Barrias entitled 'La Défense de Paris'. This classical sculpture honours the Parisian combatants of the 1870 Franco-Prussian war. It still stands, just a few paces from Les Quatre Temps.